Details About CIVANA
Nestled in the high Sonoran Desert, adjacent to North Scottsdale, Carefree is located approximately 36 miles northeast of downtown Phoenix and 23 miles north of downtown Scottsdale. It is approximately 17 miles west of Bartlett Lake, one of the main draws to the Tonto National Forest, and approximately two miles east of the community of Cave Creek.
CIVANA Carefree made its debut on March 6, 2018 as the first sustainable wellness resort to open in Greater Scottsdale. Grounded in its principles of sustainability, attainability and possibility, the forty million-dollar acquisition and renovation is an adaptive re-use of an existing facility incorporating a natural design palette and materials, while improving energy efficiency and the introduction of solar energy in its new spa building.
CIVANA focuses on four pathways – Healthy Cuisine, Movement, Healing Arts/Spa and Discovery & Enrichment. Only months after its acquisition, CIVANA Carefree has undergone a multi-million-dollar renovation of its public spaces, 184 rooms, dining outlets, and the conversion of meeting spaces into state of the art fitness, yoga, energy, movement and enrichment studios.
At CIVANA we believe everyone is on a personal journey towards wellbeing. CIVANA honors the individuality of all our guests. We encourage guests to challenge themselves and uncover their potential, yet we observe without judgement and act without pretense. No prescriptions, restrictions, or unrealistic expectations, it’s all about choice.
- 20+ private scenic acres adjacent to North Scottsdale
- 184 spacious guest rooms and suites
- 2 healthy cuisine dining outlets and lounge
- 10,000 square feet of fitness and movement space/8 indoor studios
- 15,000 square feet of indoor meeting space
- 8,000 square feet of outdoor gathering space
- 22,000 square foot spa opening December 2018
- Tennis and pickleball courts
- 3 pools
- Daily access to movement, fitness and enrichment classes
- Concierge service and 24-hour access to business center
- Bicycle rentals, nearby hiking and excursion options
- Nearby golf: Legend Trail, Boulders, Rancho Manana, Dove Valley and many more
- Scheduled shuttle service to nearby Carefree and Cave Creek shopping and dining outlets
Carefree is perhaps best known as the longtime home of Southwestern Studios—where the New Dick Van Dyke Show and one of Orson Welles’ last films, The Other Side of the Wind, were filmed. Southwestern Studios also filmed Bob Hope’s last movie, Cancel my Reservation. Southwestern Studios later became Carefree Studios, which was razed in 1999 to create space for a popular retail space/residential development.
- Terras (latin for land and earth), the all-day dining restaurant, open from 7 am to 9 pm is about choice (from healthy to indulgent food) and will offer shared plates and more vegetable forward dishes. Guest can dine inside or outside on the sunset deck. There is a bar and lounge inside Terras.
- CAFE meto which gets its name from the Latin word for harvest/gathering will feature a ‘purer’ menu of dishes vetted for calorie and nutrition content. It has an outdoor courtyard and will open daily at 6 am until 3 pm.
- Pool service and room service are available as well.
There are 2 pools available for guest use. The main resort pool and hot tub are located adjacent to the lobby and the Sonoran pool is across the drive from the main lobby. Both pools are heated when needed.
In addition to the world class programming we offer at CIVANA Carefree, the area of Carefree and Cave Creek provides a number of opportunities for sightseeing, biking, hiking, horseback riding, gold mining and even bull-riding! Bicycles are available for a complimentary 4-hour rental.
Daily discovery and enrichment classes will include meditation, sound bowl sessions, art, card readings and many more.
Meeting and Banquet Facilities
Featuring 23,000 square feet of flexible indoor and outdoor meeting space and a new arrival experience, CIVANA’S knowledgeable and dedicated sales and event planning professionals – with more than 100 years of collective experience- are readily available and on-hand to plan the most memorable event or meeting.
We are a pet-friendly resort with a convenient onsite doggie park and healthy treats available at Cafe METO.
Service animals are allowed in the restaurant and pool under America’s Disabilities Act. The ADA requires that a service animal must be under the control of the handler at all times. All other pets must be leashed, harnessed or tethered. Owners must always be in control of the service animal/pet including cleaning up after their pet and properly disposing of any waste in a marked trash receptacle. Pets are not allowed on the furniture including beds, chairs and sofas. Pet fee starts at $50/daily limited to two dogs with a combined weight of no more than 75 pounds. All dogs must be registered. A room inspection is required prior to check out. Pet sanitizing fee starts at $250.
All rooms and patios are non-smoking. Smoking and vaping is permitted only in the five designated outdoor, non-public areas. (Please refer to the five areas on the map). Tobacco products are not available for purchase. If a guest smokes or vapes in their room or their patio/balcony, they will be assessed a cleaning and deodorizing charge, which starts at $250 per room.
In order to preserve the surrounding open landscape, the resort follows the City of Carefree’s ordinance on keeping lights and sounds at a minimum thus allowing for beautiful night skys.
Except for evenings in winter, Carefree has a warm climate year round that allows for outdoor dining. Nestle in the lush desert foothills, the town of Carefree sits at 1,000 feet higher elevation than downtown Phoenix. With average daytime highs ranging from 62 degrees Fahrenheit in January to 101.1 degrees Fahrenheit in July. The desert tends to be warm in the day time and cooler at night which allows for a sweater or light jacket in the winter months. As many wellness travelers seek outdoor recreational activities and many such travelers are “snowbirds” looking to escape the cold, this year-round warm weather makes Carefree particularly attractive as a wellness resort destination.