Details About CIVANA
Nestled in the high Sonoran Desert, adjacent to North Scottsdale, Carefree is located approximately 36 miles northeast of downtown Phoenix and 23 miles north of downtown Scottsdale. It is approximately 17 miles west of Bartlett Lake, one of the main draws to the Tonto National Forest, and approximately two miles east of the community of Cave Creek.
CIVANA Carefree made its debut on March 6, 2018 as the first sustainable wellness resort to open in Greater Phoenix, the 6th largest market. Grounded in its principles of sustainability, attainability and possibility, the forty million-dollar acquisition and renovation is an adaptive re-use of an existing facility incorporating a natural design palette and materials, while improving energy efficiency and the introduction of solar energy in its new spa building.
CIVANA focuses on four pillars – Healthy Cuisine, Movement, Healing Arts/Spa and Discovery & Enrichment. Only months after its acquisition, CIVANA Carefree has undergone a multi-million-dollar renovation of its public spaces, 184 rooms, dining outlets, and the conversion of meeting spaces into state of the art fitness, yoga, energy, movement and enrichment studios.
- 20+ private scenic acres adjacent to North Scottsdale
- 184 spacious guest rooms and suites plus 5 villas
- 2 healthy cuisine dining outlets and lounge
- 10,000 square feet of fitness and movement space/8 indoor studios
- 15,000 square feet of indoor meeting space
- 8,000 square feet of outdoor gathering space
- 22,000 square foot spa coming Fall 2018
- Tennis and pickleball courts
- 2 pools
- Daily access to movement, fitness and enrichment classes
- Concierge service and 24-hour access to business center
- Bicycle rentals, nearby hiking and excursion options
- Nearby golf: Legend Trail, Boulders, Rancho Manana, Dove Valley and many more
- Scheduled shuttle service to nearby Carefree and Cave Creek shopping and dining outlets
Carefree is perhaps best known as the longtime home of Southwestern Studios—where the New Dick Van Dyke Show and one of Orson Welles’ last films, The Other Side of the Wind, were filmed. Southwestern Studios also filmed Bob Hope’s last movie, Cancel my Reservation. Southwestern Studios later became Carefree Studios, which was razed in 1999 to create space for a popular retail space/residential development.
- Terras (latin for land and earth), the all-day dining restaurant, open from 7 am to 9 pm is about choice (from healthy to indulgent food) and will offer shared plates and more vegetable forward dishes. Guest can dine inside or outside on the sunset deck. There is a bar and lounge inside Terras.
- CAFE meto which gets its name from the Latin word for harvest/gathering will feature a ‘purer’ menu of dishes vetted for calorie and nutrition content. It has an outdoor courtyard and will open daily at 6 am until 3 pm.
- Pool service and room service are available as well.
There are 2 pools available for guest use. The main resort pool and hot tub are located adjacent to the lobby and the Sonoran pool is across the drive from the main lobby. Both pools are heated when needed.
In addition to the world class programming we offer at CIVANA Carefree, the area of Carefree and Cave Creek provides a number of opportunities for sightseeing, biking, hiking, horseback riding, gold mining and even bull-riding! Bicycles are available for a complimentary 4-hour rental.
Daily discovery and enrichment classes will include meditation, sound bowl sessions, art, card readings and many more.
Meeting and Banquet Facilities
Featuring 23,000 square feet of flexible indoor and outdoor meeting space and a new arrival experience, CIVANA’S knowledgeable and dedicated sales and event planning professionals – with more than 100 years of collective experience- are readily available and on-hand to plan the most memorable event or meeting.
In order to preserve the surrounding open landscape, the resort follows the City of Carefree’s ordinance on keeping lights and sounds at a minimum.