BY: EXECUTIVE CHEF, JUSTIN MACY
Keep your mind clear and reduce stress with healthy snacking and meals. Here are a few nourishing options that are great for brain health and mental clarity.
1. Brazil nuts are high in antioxidants, selenium and Vitamin E, which improve mood by reducing inflammation.
2.Fatty fish such as salmon, trout and sardines are high in Omega-3, a fatty acid that has a strong cognitive function for mental health.
3. Dark Chocolate is high in tryptophan, which the body uses to turn into mood-enhancing neurotransmitters, such as serotonin.
4. Eggs are an excellent source of protein and the yolks are high in vitamin D. Additionally eggs contain tryptophan, an amino acid that helps create serotonin, which improves brain function.
5. Pumpkin Seeds are an excellent source of potassium which regulates electrolyte balance and manages blood pressure. Seeds are also high in zinc, which is essential for brain, nerve development and helps to regulate emotions.
6. Green Tea contains an amino acid called theanine, which has calming effects and may increase the production of serotonin and dopamine.
7. Turmeric, also known as curcumin, is a spice that can easily be added to dishes and smoothies that helps to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress.
8. Chamomile Tea has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities and is often used for its relaxant properties.
5 Superfood Smoothies to Make at Home
BY: MICHELE RUSINKO, INTEGRATIVE NUTRITION & HEALTH COACH Making your own nutrient dense smoothie can…Read now
Culinary Clinic Tips: 5 Ways to Start Cooking at Home
BY: JUSTIN MACY, CIVANA EXECUTIVE CHEF Cooking is my medicine. I hope if nothing else,…Read now
Culinary Clinic Tips: 5 Ways for Healthy Snacking
BY: EXECUTIVE CHEF, JUSTIN MACY The act of grazing has been around since our ancestors…Read now