BY THE WELLNESS GUIDES OF CIVANA
The art of smudging is an ancient spiritual ritual for purification, dispelling negative energy and improving mood and can easily be incorporated into your weekly routine or meditative practice.
Sage: The Latin word for sage, salvia, stems from the word, heal. Other qualities believed to be associated with sage when burned are wisdom, clarity, and increased spiritual awareness.
Palo Santo: Spanish for “holy wood”, Palo Santo is a sacred tree which grows in select parts of South America and is a natural insect repellant. It has been used for centuries by shamans in ritual prayer, ceremonies and healing, known for its grounding and focusing effect which can enhance creativity, productivity and increase good fortune.
Desert Rose: A symbol of clarity of the mind and excellent meditation stone.
Simple Smudging Ritual
• Smudging is the ritual of cleaning the energy of a physical space, object or person. If you have a meditation ritual, you can burn Sage or Palo Santo before your practice. This will help prepare your energy and mind for meditation and allow you to more easily connect.
• First you start with a simple intention of focusing on clearing the negative energy out of your space and mind.
• Once you have your intention in mind, light the Sage or Palo Santo and hold at a 45 degree angle pointing the tip down towards the flame. Allow it to burn for 30 seconds and then blow it out.
• Place it on any heat-proof burning surface like an abalone shell, a traditional vessel used by Indigenous American people that represents the element of water.
• If left to rest the stick will smoulder and release smoke for approximately 5 mins. If used for smudging, walk around the room, space, object or person, fanning the smoke over its entirety, whilst focusing on cleansing and clearing negative energy.
• Once you’ve finished smudging and removed the negative energy, you must push positive energy into the space to maintain balance. To do this, declare your intention out loud or silently in your head.
When to Smudge
• Before you go to bed after a long day around people
• Before and after a you’ve had guests at your home
• When you move into a new home
• When you begin a new job
• When you start your own business
• Before and after a healing session
• Before meditation
• After any illness
• After an argument / conflict
CIVANA Virtual Classes
BY THE WELLNESS GUIDES OF CIVANA STAY SOCIAL...APART Despite being miles away from the healing…Read now
Better Sleep Within Reach: Breathing & Meditation Rituals
BY AMANDA GRANT, CIVANA CHIEF WELLNESS OFFICER A good night of sleep is so important…Read now
A Look Inside CIVANA’s Sonoran Desert Garden
BY: DEBBY LARSEN, TUCSON LIFESTYLE HOME & GARDEN EDITOR AND CONTRIBUTING WELLNESS GUIDE. The Native…Read now